A covering letter is a must in any job application you put forward. Covering letter should state how you match to the requirements and your suitability. This is your chance to show potential employers why you’re unique and what makes you the right choice for the job. Cover letter gives hiring managers a deeper insight into your career, motivations and ambitions.
Here are our top tips:
- Give examples and demonstrate how you fit the job description by mentioning job-related key skills. For example, if relevant you could use organisation, team leading, bricklaying and any relevant skills.
- Keep it short. No more than one side of A4 paper as a general rule, you should be able to say everything you need in three to five paragraphs and no more than a page. It’s important to order your points, so they fit in that space.
- Address correctly. A cover letter should be addressed properly and to the right person. Check what the application says and ensure that you begin with the right name.
- Be formal because a fully formal letter means signing it off correctly and able to read effectively for everyone. It also means you should add both your address and that of the company you are applying to.
- Research the company and industry, so you can further add how your skills are suitable.
- Add enthusiasm because recruiters and hiring managers love to see passion. If your cover letter shows your enthusiasm for the job or field you’re applying for, this will immediately tip the balance in your favour.
- End positively before you sign off. You can do this by adding a simple sentence which says something upbeat. For instance, you could say how much you look forward to finding out more about the role or that you welcome a positive response.
- Check it and check it again. After writing your letter, give it a break and look it again. This will help you to proofread it better and to pick out typo errors and spelling mistakes more effectively.
Example of a covering letter
See below for an example of a cover letter so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Here you will be able to copy and edit the specific skills and titles to match the job roles that you are applying for. Here this cover letter is fairly short but the shorter the better because no one wants to read an A4 letter, as well as, your CV (Curriculum Vitae). To find out all the top tips to a perfect CV click here. This cover letter would be for a marketing or creative role, read through and edit where you can.
I’ve passionately gained almost 2 years of experience in Digital Marketing. My greatest strengths are communication, meeting deadlines, as well as, analytical skills to ensure all tasks and campaigns are performing at its best. I also have strong creative skills by designing materials, as well as, executing social media campaigns and promoting events. My leadership skills have allowed me to project manage inventive campaigns including, email marketing, website development. When I left school, I immediately got hands-on with a marketing assistant role and kick started my career.
Currently I am working as a graphic designer for an electronics wholesaler in Hoddesdon. This was a great opportunity for me to progress and achieve my long-term goals. My main goal is to become a marketing campaign director within the next few years. Now I am looking for closer work and am excited to move on to a company where I can grow in an industry, I am excited about.
Please find attached my CV for your consideration on where my abilities would be a great value to your company.
Look forward to hearing from you.
T: contact number
For recruitment on the go download our mobile app for Apple Store click here and for Google Play click here. It is the perfect tool to send alerts when needing workers, as well as, when job searching. It is as simple as filling in your bio (name, interests, location, contact details and when you are available or how many workers you need). Once that’s done, you will always receive many different tailored notifications suited to your needs and requirements. “Get notified on the go with perfect jobs for you and request workers, discover new talent in just a swipe.